The regional office coordinates nationally oriented programmes for the state of Brandenburg, in the implementation of which the specialist library offices are involved. In addition to the introduction and support of innovative state-specific projects, it is responsible for the implementation of national and international project developments for the state's public libraries. The integration of the library services into the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam supports the strategic implementation of future transformation processes in the field of public libraries through the close interlinking of research, teaching and practice.
ABC of library work
Public libraries are municipal infrastructure facilities for education, culture and leisure. They offer multimedia and multifunctional services in real and virtual space.
Association of Public Libraries (VÖB)
The network of public libraries virtually unites the public libraries of Brandenburg and their collections.
The public libraries in the district and at regional level have joined together to form e-media associations in order to offer users virtual digital lending of media.
Position papers and publications with recommendations for concepts, descriptions of fields of action and arguments on the social significance of public libraries.
Statistics and analysis
The sate office supports the libraries with the German Library Statistics. Other statistical data is also collected and evaluated for the work of the regional office.
Building and furnishing advice
The Landesfachstelle advises libraries on planning principles, on accessibility as well as on room concepts and expert opinions.
The public library is a cross-generational public place for the promotion of community life. In this sense, it fulfils the tasks of a multifunctional educational, cultural and recreational institution. It is one of the most visited institutions of cultural education.
The public library is:
- A cultural experience centre with a variety of analogue and digital event and communication formats.
- A place of leisure for individual and communal activities
- A place of learning for everyone with opportunities for self-determined, innovative and experimental learning.
- Educational partner for schools and day-care centres with a focus on reading promotion, media education and imparting information competence
- Hybrid media venue for education and information with physical and virtual offerings
- Creative and experimental place, especially with new information technologies
- Forum for democratic discourse in urban society
Statistical overview (as of 2019)
- 127 full-time libraries + 57 part-time or voluntary libraries + 5 mobile libraries
- Networking of libraries in all districts for joint stock and project cooperation
- 2,9 million visits
- 8,9 million loans
- 4,2 million media of all formats
- Lending of electronic media within 13 district or regional associations
- 2,900 reading, work and computer stations in the libraries
- 11.900 Events
- Education partner through permanent cooperation with 570 schools and 530 day-care centres
Association of public libraries (VÖB)
The network is a cooperation project of the public libraries of the state of Brandenburg, managed and coordinated by the Brandenburg State Office for Archives and Public Libraries.
The participating libraries index their analogue media holdings in a joint electronic, searchable union catalogue which is gradually being expanded.
Current status (July 2022):
- 97 public libraries
- 2,312,942 media
- 1,274,074 title records
In the state of Brandenburg, public libraries are grouped into 13 e-media associations, mostly in the respective districts.
- Media network P-PM-CB-FF-BRB the Potsdam City and Regional Library, the public libraries in the Potsdam-Mittelmark district, the Frankfurt (Oder) City and Regional Library, the Cottbus City and Regional Library and the Fouqué Library Brandenburg an der Havel
- Niederlausitz "Onleihe" media network of the libraries in Calau, Guben, Forst (Lausitz), Großräschen, Lübbenau-Vetschau, Schwarzheide, Senftenberg and Spremberg
- Barnim Media Network "Barnim Onleihe the municipal library of Bernau bei Berlin, the municipal library of Biesenthal, the municipal library of Eberswalde, the Brunold library of Joachimsthal, the municipal library of Panketal and the libraries of the municipality of Wandlitz
- Havelland Media Network "Havelland Onleihe
- Media association Landkreis Oder-Spree "LOS24 of the libraries in Beeskow (mobile library, archive, reading and media centre, municipal library), Eisenhüttenstadt, Erkner, Fürstenwalde, Grünheide, Schöneiche, Storkow
- Prignitz Media Network "PrigNetz of the libraries in Bad Wilsnack, Meyenburg, Perleberg, Pritzwalk, Putlitz and Wittenberge
- Media network Teltow-Fläming "E-Lending of the libraries in Am Mellensee, Blankenfelde-Mahlow, Großbeeren, Luckenwalde, Ludwigslust, Rangsdorf, Trebbin and Zossen
- Uckermark Media Network "Onleihe Uckermark of the libraries in Angermünde, Prenzlau, Schwedt/Oder and Templin
- Media network Dahme-Spreewald of the libraries in of the municipal libraries in Eichwalde, Golßen, Königs Wusterhausen, Kreis- und Fahrbibliothek Lübben, Stadtbibliothek Lübben, Schulzendorf, Wildau and Zeuthen
- Media network Elbe Elster Bibnet of the libraries in Bad Liebenwerda, Doberlug-Kirchhain, Elsterwerda, Falkenberg/Elster, Finsterwalde, Herzberg/Elster, Hohenleipisch, Prösen, Schlieben, Uebigau and the District Driving Library Elbe-Elster
- Media network Märkisch-Oderland MOL of the libraries in Altlandsberg, Bad Freienwalde, Fredersdorf-Vogelsdorf, Petershagen/Eggersdorf, Lebus, Müncheberg, Neuenhagen b. Berlin, Rüdersdorf, Seelow, Strausberg and Wriezen
- Oberhavel Media Network of the libraries in Glienicke/Nordbahn, Gransee, Hennigsdorf, Hohen Neuendorf, Kremmen, Liebenwalde, Oberkrämer, Oranienburg, Velten and Zehdenick
- Media network Ostprignitz-Ruppin OPR of the libraries in Fehrbellin, Kyritz, Neuruppin, Neustadt (Dosse), Rheinsberg, Wittstock and Wusterhausen
- 21 good reasons for good libraries
Image brochure published by the umbrella organisation BID - Bibliothek & Information Deutschland e.V. in 2009
- Basics for good libraries - guidelines for decision-makers
Annex to the image brochure "21 good reasons for good libraries" published in 2009 by the umbrella organisation BID - Bibliothek & Information Deutschland e.V. The performance figures and metrics presented here set benchmarks to ensure that public libraries can fulfil their social tasks in the long term.
- Public Library 2025 - Guidelines for the Development of Public Libraries
This paper describes new guidelines for the development of public libraries up to 2025. It formulates the prerequisites for contemporary and future-oriented library work. "Public Library 2025" sees itself as an argumentation aid for the debate on the positioning of public libraries in a rapidly changing society. It describes the necessary fields of action for the transformation process into a digital society and a third place. Published by Deutscher Bibliotheksverband e.V., 2021
- Libraries and Democracy
Statement of the Deutscher Bibliotheksverband e.V. (2019) on the specific contribution of libraries in political education and the promotion of democratic discourse.
- Sustainable promotion of libraries - especially in times of crisis
Joint statement by the United Services Trade Unions ver.di and the German Library Association e.V. (dbv), 2022
- Liveable city centres of the future
The paper describes challenges facing cities and the role of various players - including culture. This appeal was written in 2022 by the German Association of Cities, the German Trade Association, ver.di, the German Institute of Urban Affairs and the German Cultural Council together for liveable inner cities.
- Digital Agenda of the Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg 2021
Description of the tasks of public libraries under point 3.4 "Digitisation in the area of public libraries and the Potsdam City and State Library (SLB)".
- "Cultural education - a cross-sectional task of public libraries".
This position paper of the "Landesfachstelle für Archive und Öffentliche Bibliotheken" was prepared in 2012 and updated in 2022. It describes the specific contribution of public libraries as actors in cultural education.
The state office supports public libraries in applying for and implementing funding programmes at state and federal level.
The funding programme Total Digital! - Reading and storytelling with digital media is an initiative of the German Library Association and the programme Kultur macht stark. Alliances for Education, which is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Total Digital! supports institutions nationwide in projects to promote reading in conjunction with digital media.
"The project is aimed at children and young people between the ages of three and 18 who have difficulty accessing education and media. Within the framework of the funded activities, they are to learn about stories and be encouraged to express themselves creatively with digital media. It is central that the participants themselves work creatively and actively shape and implement the projects. Extracurricular activities build a bridge between everyday media use and reading promotion and address the interests of the target group.
The funding programme Total Digital! - Reading and storytelling with digital media was an initiative of the German Library Association and the programme "Kultur macht stark". Alliances for Education, which was funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Total Digital! funded institutions nationwide in projects to promote reading in conjunction with digital media.
"The project is aimed at children and young people between the ages of three and 18 who have difficulty accessing education and media. Within the framework of the funded activities, they are to learn about stories and be encouraged to express themselves creatively with digital media. It is central that the participants themselves work creatively and actively shape and implement the projects. Extracurricular activities build a bridge from everyday media use to reading promotion and address the interests of the target group."
The funding programme hochdrei - Stadtbibliotheken verändern supported city and municipal libraries in projects, for example in the form of creative event formats, which were developed and implemented jointly with actors from urban society. The focus here was on developing libraries as a space for encounters, cultural exchange and social debate in a future-oriented manner. This funding programme is a programme of the Federal Cultural Foundation and ran until 2022.
Examples of funded projects can be found here.
The funding programme WissensWandel was a digital programme for libraries and archives within Neustart Kultur. With it, the German Library Association supported libraries and archives in their digital development.
This programme was part of the rescue and future programme NEUSTART KULTUR of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM). It sought to mitigate the consequences of the Corona pandemic for libraries and archives.
The funding programme Vor Ort für Alle vom Deutschen Bibliotheksverband of the German Library Association promoted contemporary library concepts in municipalities with up to 20,000 inhabitants. The aim of this emergency aid programme was to strengthen libraries as third places, especially in rural areas, and thus to contribute to equal living conditions.
This programme was a project of the German Library Association within the framework of the Culture in Rural Areas programme of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM). The funding came from the Federal Rural Development Programme (BULE) of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture.
The programme ran from 2020 - 2023.
Statistics and analysis
The regional office supports the public libraries in their work on the German Library Statistics (DBS)which is supervised, carried out and evaluated by the North Rhine-Westphalia University Library Centre (hbz). The work of the libraries is documented here on a national level and thus enables a comparison of performance on the basis of statistical data on equipment, stock, loans, finances, expenditure and staff.
You can call up concrete data in the variable evaluation.
Furthermore, the Regional Office collects additional statistical data on public libraries every year. These are also processed and published here.
Building and furnishing advice
DIN 67700 "Construction of libraries and archives - Requirements and recommendations for planning".
DIN standard 67700 was published in May 2017 and replaces DIN technical report 13 "Construction and utilisation planning of libraries and archives" from 2009.
This standard specifies requirements and recommendations to be taken into account when planning libraries and archives. It applies both to new construction and to the conversion of existing buildings or rooms. Reference: Beuth-Verlag
Guidelines for the Construction and Equipment of Public Libraries
The handout is an online publication of the Conference of Library Experts in Germany and was updated in 2016. It is intended to support librarians and planners in library construction projects (new buildings and renovations). It serves as a checklist, a reference tool for building regulations, provides basic knowledge and compares technical solutions and product types. The handout is available in PDF format and can be downloaded as a complete file or chapter by chapter.
Determination of space requirements
The "Principles for Good Libraries - Guidelines for Libraries" published by the umbrella organisation "Bibliothek Information Deutschland" (BID). Basics for Good Libraries - Guidelines for Decision Makers also provide recommendations for the professional standard for calculating the space requirements of a public library. As an indicator for the space available, at least 60 sqm per 1,000 inhabitants of the library's catchment area is used. For a quick calculation, the Excel template Standards for calculating the floor space of a public library of the Landesfachstelle can be used for a quick calculation.
Specialist conferences on building and furnishing issues
The AG Bau (Construction Working Group) of the Conference of Library Authorities in Germany regularly holds construction seminars on library construction and library furnishing issues. The scripts and presentation slides of these events are available on the Internet.
The future of library construction
Nationally and internationally, a development trend is emerging in which libraries will open up more in the future in order to operate in a common house with new partners in the municipal network. It is about a paradigm shift "from libraries for books/media - to libraries for active people". How this development idea can be reflected in new spatial concepts for libraries is presented in the following lectures.
In German, accessibility refers to the design of the built environment as well as information, communication, etc. in such a way that they can also be used and perceived by people with impairments without additional assistance.
In a broader sense, the principle of accessibility means that not only people with impairments, such as older people with walking, visual or balance impairments, but also people with small children (prams) or those dependent on walkers are included in the freely accessible use of the built environment. This broader view no longer differentiates between individual groups of people; rather, the needs of all people should be taken into account.
We offer the following services free of charge for building and furnishing planning or in the event of spatial changes to libraries:
- On-site consultation
- Expert opinions on the suitability of rooms and buildings for library purposes
- Calculation of space requirements
- Preparation of sustainable library concepts (mission statement, target group, media and service and event offerings, staff)
- Development of integrated space utilisation concepts with description of the individual functional units including space requirements as well as equipment with specialist furniture and information technology
- Arranging visits to exemplary library buildings
Newsletter of the Brandenburg state office for library advice
Newsletter Public Libraries 2022:
Newsletter of the Brandenburg state office for library advice
Newsletter Public Libraries 2023:
Newsletter Public Libraries 2022: