Start of studies at the Design Department
Welcome to the beginning of your studies at the design department at the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam. On these pages, all first-year design students and newly enrolled students will find important information and links for the start of the semester.
Information on the start of studies
Your studies will begin on 04th of october 2023 at 9.00 am with the central matriculation ceremony and the welcome by our president Eva Schmitt-Rodermund. After lunch in the refectory, we will welcome you all at 1.30 pm in the lecture hall (House D / Room 011) for the welcome and information event at the design department by our dean, Prof. Wiebke Loeper and the student council (StuRa).
The introductory events and the project week days from 04th to 20th of october are compulsory for all new enrolments and ensure your start into your studies.
You can also download the invitation to the welcome and information about the start of your studies as a PDF. Please read everything carefully and register at INCOM.
9.00 am | Central matriculation ceremony of the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam
On Wednesday, 04th of october, all new students of the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam (FHP) will be welcomed centrally by our president Eva Schmitt-Rodermund. Information on the enrolment ceremony can be found on the FHP's student start page.
This will be followed by the welcome and information event for first-year students (BA/MA) and for our international students at the design department .
You are now entering a new phase of your life that will hopefully enrich you – both professionally and privately. To help you quickly find your way through the "university jungle", we will give you important information on starting your studies, introduce you to the dean's office and provide you with important information on how to behave in the workshops and on campus as part of our first-semester introduction.
- General information about studying, dates and the semester schedule
- Information on the presentation of the semester offers and the project weeks
- Information on introductions to the degree programmes, welcome days and onboarding
- Access to the MAC/PC labs and the library
- Safety briefing for the workshops and labs
- Short introduction to our study and teaching communication and cooperation platform Incom (see below)
- Introduction to the student council (StuRa) with a campus tour and tour of the workshops and labs
Jörg Misch is a safety officer at the design department. He will introduce you to the legally required instruction within the first semester welcome. The briefing is compulsory for all first-semester students of the bachelor's and master's degree programmes and for our guest students from abroad and provides a binding overview of the required rules of conduct.
If you are unable to attend, please contact Jörg Misch.
Thu, 05/10/2023, 10.00 am | Introduction & kick-off of the welcome days in the degree programmes
- Communication design, dean of studies Prof. Sven Völker | House D / Room 011
- Interface design, dean of studies Prof. Boris Müller | House D / Room 226
- Product design, dean of studies Prof. Hermann Weizenegger | House D / Room 119
- Master's programme design, programme directors Prof. Dr. Frank Heidmann and Anouk Meissner | House D / Room 108
The welcome days ensure your entry into the degree programme and are offered all day on thursday, 5th of october and monday to wednesday, 9th to 11th of october. Together with your new fellow students, you will get to know the professors of your degree programme and their subject areas in various formats. You will gain an insight into what else awaits you in your studies, but also in the region around Potsdam, and what career options your studies will open up for you.
Excursions are planned for the master's students and on wednesday, 25th of october at 2.30 pm there will be a round of introductions to the professors.
Mon to Wed, 09 - 11/10/2023, 10.00 am - 6.00 pm | Welcome days in the degree programmes
The schedule of the welcome days will be announced at the introductory event. Please keep these days completely free from 10.00 am to 6.00 pm!
Fri, 01/09/2023 | Publication of the course catalogue
The course catalogue for the winter semester will go online on Incom on 01th of september.
- Mon, 09/10/2023, 8.00 am | Deadline for course enrolment
- Tue, 10/10/2023, 8.00 am | Announcement of course enrolment results
- Wed, 11/10/2023, 8.00 am| Deadline for acceptances/cancellations for course enrolment
- Wed to Thu, 11 - 12/10/2023 | Emergency room from student council & helpdesk for course selection, online
Fri, 06/10/2023, 10.00 | Presentation of semester and project week topics (online)
On this date, all course and project week offers will be presented to you by the lecturers. You will have already found out which courses are particularly suitable for your entry into the programme, how a course of study can proceed depending on your preferences and skills, and how the course selection procedure works during the welcome days.
Thu to Fri, 12 - 20/10/2023, 9.00 | Project weeks (full day)
Our "Project Weeks" take place all day from 12th to 20th of october across all courses and years. The compact project offers are a kind of warm-up and serve to actively get to know the campus and the people, to gain initial professional experience and - not to be forgotten - to acquire the first two ECTS credit points (CP) - which, along with grades, is the university currency for the "workload" in your studies. At the end of your studies at the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam, you will have acquired all 240 CP in the bachelor's degree or another 60 CP in the master's degree - and we are already chilling the crémant.
During the project weeks, there will also be a photo shoot of all new students organised by the student council.
All introductory events and the project week days from 4 to 20 October are compulsory for all newly enrolled students and will ensure your start into your studies.
Mon, 23/10/2023 | Start of lectures
Mon to Fri, 23/10/2023 - 19/01/2024 | Lecture eeeks
Our courses are mostly held in presence at the FHP in house D or in the adjacent laboratory and workshop building. English-language courses are announced in English and can be filtered at Incom.
Wed, 25/10/2023, 2.30 pm I Masters meet Profs
- Direction Prof. Reto Wettach
- Target group 1st and 2nd semester; open to all Master's students
We have developed a compact format for our master's students, where professors and research assistants introduce themselves and briefly present their design position and research focus. In this way, you as a master's student can gain a better insight into which potential master's supervisors might be the best fit for you and your respective questions.
INCOM – Please register and log in to the Workspaces!
Incom is our teaching-related communication and cooperation platform that enables us to provide up-to-date teaching, study organisation and presentation. In summary, simply EVERYTHING runs via Incom!
Please register in INCOM with your matriculation number under Login: https://fhp.incom.org/signup.
Once you are registered, log in as a member in the following workspaces:
- Accompanying workspace for the start of studies in WiSe 2023/24
- Workspace for organising studies and examinations; compulsory participation until the end of your studies
- Cluster workspace with information and access to the labs and workshops
- Studen council workspace with information, tips and events
- Master workspace as an internal communication and exchange platform for master students
For navigation in INCOM you can choose different languages in the dropdown menu.
Further information and assistance on INCOM.