CMI.BA – Center for Metropolitan Innovation in Bratislava
Model project of an ecologically and socially sustainable building modernization of the Nová Cvernovka Foundation in Bratislava, Slovakia
- Cvernovka Foundation
- Passive House Institute Slovakia
- Institute for Creative Sustainability
- id22: Project Space
The task of the research project is to develop a concept for an architecturally, socio-ecologically and energy-technically sustainable conversion of a former residential home in Bratislava into a socio-cultural center. The building complex is part of a former chemical technical secondary school from the 1950s and was leased by the Cvernovka Foundation from the Bratislava Self-Governing Region for an initial period of use of 25 years. On a total floor area of approximately 6,500 m², the first plus-energy building in Slovakia is to be realized in a mixture of affordable and communal forms of housing (co-housing), work spaces (offices for NGOs) and public functions.
The research project comprises four fields of action, which are being worked on with partners from Slovakia and Germany:
- Ecological overall concept and integral planning (University of Applied Sciences Potsdam)
- Plusenergiehausstandard (Passive House Institute Slovakia, iEPD)
- Co-Housing and Participation (id22: Institute for Creative Sustainability)
- Education and communication (Cvernovka Foundation)
In the project, innovative approaches to social use, participatory planning and ecological rehabilitation will be identified and tested together with the partners* for their feasibility of implementation in the Slovak context. Due to the representative building typology and the special innovative character for the conversion of use, this project has a great transfer potential for similar projects in Slovakia and other European countries.
The results will be documented on a website.
Other parties involved
- Chantal Schöpp (research assistant)
- Martin Šichman (Bratislava)
- Nadácia Cvernovka (Cvernovka Foundation)
- Ing. Ľubica Šimkovicová (Passive House Institute Slovakia (iEPD))
- Dr. Michael A. LaFond (id22: Institute for Creative Sustainability)