The University of Applied Sciences Potsdam is the only german university that offers a distance learning programme as a form of non-administrative, academic further education in the field of archives. The further education was developed for employees of all archive sectors.
At a glance
Organisation & financing options
Over the course of four years, four two-day presentations take place each year at the University of Applied Sciences Potsdam (always on monday and tuesday). On these dates, the lecturers introduce the respective subject matter and impart basic knowledge for independent processing of the study materials. The participants are supervised by the lecturers via the e-learning platform Moodle.
A total of 27 compulsory and 2 compulsory elective modules are taken in four years, each of which must be completed with a certificate of achievement. The participation fees per module are currently 260 euros. Christina Arlt will be happy to help you with questions regarding accounting.
There are opportunities for partial financing of distance learning, for example in the form of the Bildungsprämie, which is awarded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. In addition, information on funding programmes of the individual federal states is offered via the german education server for further education courses.
- Scientific work
- Copyright and digital rights management
- Archival indexing
- Archive management
- Archival law
- Marketing strategies and public relations in archives
- Digital archiving
- Basics of historiography
- Historical auxiliary sciences
- Records science / Records management / eGovernment
- Subject-specific English
- Web technology and information systems
Applicants with subject-related training (specialist employees for media and information services – specialising in archives, archive assistants) who work in an archive.
The distance learning programme is not a degree programme. After successful completion, it is possible to be placed in the direct degree programme in an examination procedure separate from the distance learning programme and to take the examination for a bachelor of arts (Archival Studies BA). This extends the duration of the further education by approx. 1 year.
Entry requirements & application procedure
In case of a need for clarification, please send an enquiry by e-mail to the project coordination before you apply. This way we can clarify whether all requirements are actually met. If the number of applicants exceeds the available places, a selection procedure will be carried out.
Entry requirements and selection criteria:
- Vocational training in a specific field
- The average grade of the vocational qualification
- The average grade of the general university entrance qualification or the advanced technical college entrance qualification (if available)
- At least two years of professional experience after completion of vocational training
- Work in the archives sector for at least 20 hours per week during the period of distance learning.
Applications must be submitted during the application period via an online form, which is available here for this period.
After completing the online form, please send your complete application documents including
- letter of motivation,
- curriculum vitae,
- copy of your vocational certificate,
- a copy of your university of applied sciences or university entrance qualification (if available) and
- proof of work in an archival institution (at least 20 hours per week)
in a PDF file to the application address given in the form.